Monday 27 August 2007

Interesting Points Of Thailand Trip

Moving away from the heat of the recent post about a newspaper in Pattaya that turned into a Kenny Sia fans versus non-Kenny Sia fans war, here are 5 interesting points during my Thailand trip earlier this month.

1. Alcazar Cabaret


A trip to Thailand is never complete without watching an ah gua show. I dropped by a cabaret show in Pattaya called the Alcazar Cabaret.

What amazes me is NOT how these voluptuous "women" are not as much as the women they appear to be, but its the breathtaking stage settings. From Thai throneroom-like settings to settings resembling nightclubs with dancers fully dressed in clubbing outfits. The quality of the photos I took doesn't do much justice here.

My favorite performance was their rendition of Dreamgirls - almost exactly as seen in the movie. One of them even looked like a masculinized Beyonce Knowles.


2. Mango Sticky Rice

I thought the mango sticky rice at Kuching's Lok Thian Bangkok Thai Restaurant was fantastic. That was until I tasted the authentic mango sticky rice there.

For only 50 Bahts, the dish comprises of the steamed glutinous rice, creamy coconut dip and freshly sliced ripe mangoes.


3. Yellow People

One morning I was wondering why all the sudden 80% of the Thais in the streets were wearing yellow shirts.

I found out that ordinary Thais dress in yellow shirts on Mondays to show their allegiance to the king. Yellow because its the king's birth color, traditionally corresponding to the day he was born, a Monday.

Yellow-masked tuk-tuk rider

With the whole Negarakuku controversy in my own country, its a culture shock to see people showing such public affection to their king and country.


Yellow people were everywhere. So much so that it reminded me of this:


Fortunately, no yellow Thais were following me.


4. Stray Thai Dogs


While stray dogs in Kuching look like this:

Stray dogs in Bangkok looked like this:

Eh? That's not a stray dog! That's a stray baby hippo with the head of a dog. And what are the Thais feeding them? Protein shakes?


5. Snake Molesting

To much regrets later, I visited a snake farm where snakes were kept in aquariums for display. A snake handler was busy catching a snake in a barricaded section.

He proceeded to bend the snake and showed me 2 protruding "growths". He then asked me to TOUCH IT.

With no previous professional training in snake anatomy, I thought it was a tumour or a mutated growth. I must have given it at least a good 10 SECONDS RUB before he told me it was the SNAKE'S PENIS(es). WTF!

He was nice enough to tell me, "Snake have 2.... I have 1." Oh you have 1? That's a relieve.

Apparently the snake farm uses the snake's reproductive organs in producing medicine to sell to the tourists that visit the farm. When I was there, the tourists were going there by busloads.

I just wonder how many times a day the snake gets molested by unsuspecting tourists.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

snake molesting: EWW

some more i'm eating while reading it, DOUBLE EWW EWW!

*pukes*

Anonymous said...

that dog looks familiar, i thought i saw it outside chatuchak. anson

Galvin said...

Flo: Haha

Anson: The dog was at Chinatown. Maybe it took a cab from Chatuchak =P

Anonymous said...

Glad that I skip the visit to snake farm ^__^|||

Snake molesting iewww~~ =S

Thad said...

wow. there's so many weird questions that i can think of that stems from my newfound knowledge that snakes have two penises. i think your website needs an 18SX classification now.

Galvin said...

Thad: My website is fine. Its your mind that needs 18SX classification. Haha

Anonymous said...

Discovered this post just when it wasneeded. Thanks to you. It's been very useful

Anonymous said...

This short article afflicted me with a wonderful notion relating to this matter. Fantastic performance. Cheers

Anonymous said...

Seriously, decent posting. Appreciate your revealing this products. I really recognize it

Anonymous said...

Amazing, excellent article. Thank you for expressing this stuff. I seriously appreciate it

Anonymous said...

Appreciation for the data. Done well!

Anonymous said...

One of the better posts I have ever previously read with this issue. Many thanks!