Tuesday 3 July 2007

The Tip of Borneo Statue

Have you ever wondered what the Tip of Borneo looks like?

Which tip am I talking about? Its the upper-most north-east tip of the Borneo Island at Kudat that looks like a horn of an animal.

So off I went on a road trip to Kudat one fine morning during my last visit to Kota Kinabalu. The drive was 3 hours long. My anticipation and excitement were building up along the way.

Finally after 3 hours long, we reached the tip and I rushed out to take a picture.

SUDDENLY there was a wave.



-__-

Yes.... that was all. A pointy rock being washed by the waves and waves washing pointy rocks. I spent barely 15 minutes there before making another 3 hours journey back. In my humble opinion, more attractions could be built there. After all, its a 3 hours journey from Kota Kinabalu.

Back in May 2007, there was a mega project to build the world's tallest Mazu (Goddess of the Sea) statue there. No surprises that plans to build the 10-storey high statue have been stopped due to the sensitive nature of religious issues and Malaysia being an Islamic country.

Rumours were also circulating that the statue issue was one of the two main reasons behind the shock resignation of former Sabah's Deputy Chief Minister/Minister for Tourism Tan Sri Chong Kah Kiat.

I agree that erecting a 10-storey would have boosted the much-needed tourism in Kudat. However, the whole controversy could have been avoided by proposing a well-accepted statue instead.

My suggestions? How about a friendly Ronald McDonald statue?




Or maybe to induce culture and arts, we should import a 10-storey high peeing statue from Brussels, Belgium?




In fact, I would make the entire journey again if they decide to erect the statue as below.





Now that's what I call transforming Kudat (pardon the pun). All hail Optimus Prime!

2 comments:

Flo Flo said...

"In my humble opinion, more attractions could be built there."

I do not think it's a good idea to tamper with what's natural. So what if people dont want to visit Kudat because it's not "infrastructure-ly attractive" enough? Think of your future generations when people start flooding the place with concrete (accompanied by piling garbages, teh-c 5 lapis kind of water...you get the idea)

Two cents worth :)

Galvin said...

True. But the journey to see a pointed rock in the water ain't really worth it either.. hmm